DEPARTMENT OF NEUROLOGY
The Department of Neurology was established and headed by Prof Dr. Bhaskara P. Shelley in 2011. The department
has state- of-the-art technology and neuro-intensive facilities for Inpatients as well as Outpatients providing
comprehensive tertiary level care for patients with neurological disorders. The spectrum and nature of disorders is
similar to that at any large tertiary care hospital and involves patients with a wide variety of neurological disorders
that includes diseases of the brain, demyelinating and neurodegenerative disorders, spinal cord, peripheral nervous
system, neuromuscular diseases, and disorders at the interface of the brain and mind.
In addition to Primary and Follow up Neurology OP services, subspecialty clinical services are provided for Cognitive
behaviour disorders, Memory disorders, Dementias, Stroke-TIA, Epilepsy, Headaches, Movement Disorders,
Neuropain disorders, and Healthy Brain Clinics. The department has a separate Neurophysiology laboratory
subsection with state of art advanced neurophysiology digital equipments. Neurophysiology services are available on
all working days.
The Departmental Library has a large number of books and journals both current and old issues. The residents have
access to the Wi Fi Internet free of cost during working hours and residents can prepare articles, talks and create
- To be the leader and preferred center for holistic, humanistic, and quality patient-centered neurological care, a
frontier in neuro-education, and a knowledge-driven research center all targeted to prioritize the neurology workforce
for a healthier population in India
- To foster competency and proficiency-based enriched teaching-learning experience in the principles and practice
of Neurology in order to produce effective neurology specialists on par with existing standards in the country, and in
keeping with the backbone of the national program for neurology care in India
- To champion leading-edge quality clinical services with humanism and care ethics that are multi-disciplinary, holistic,
and equitable for all patients afflicted with diseases of the nervous system in a timely and efficient manner
- To envisage research in basic and clinical neurosciences in the context of both global and Indian neurological health
scenarios, and develop cost-effective treatments for the growing burden of neurological disorders in India
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
- To prepare clinically competent neurology specialist who can function as an effective leader of neurology team engaged in health care, research and/or training
- To train and foster ‘neurophilia’ in postgraduates through an integration of basic neurosciences and clinical neurology, to teach the skillful 'art and science' of bedside neurologic algorithmic approach for logical deductive analysis, inductive reasoning, clinical reasoning skills, cognitive heuristics, pattern recognition skills, and critical thinking for a systematic approach to neuro-localisation.
- To train a HEART team (Humanistic, Empathetic, Altruistic, Relationship-centered Team) for a ‘patient centered’ compassionate neurological care.
- To train for the timely and early detection of common neurological disorders
- To impart postgraduates basic concepts of research methodology and neuroepidemiology; to be able to critically analyze relevant published research literature; extrapolate and design such research relevant to the Indian context
- To provide state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic services with equitable access for the marginalized and rural regions by setting up “rural-community-satellite clinics–district-tertiary hospital” model services and foster rural-community outreach programs
- To play a innovative role in organization of neurological health care delivery services in the region with respect to clinical, investigative and community neurology
- To establish Research Groups: Forward-looking approach to developing wider programs in accordance to the health needs (both at tertiary level and rural/community levels) and research thrust areas region-specific neurological as well as national priorities research
- To develop a hospital based and community based database of prevalent neurological disorders and geriatric neurology disorders in the region
- To foster multicentre research and develop research collaboration/networks with other nodal centres in India as well as abroad (National & International Collaboration and MoU/Faculty Exchange fellowships/Training Programs)
- To promote community and public awareness campaigns in widely prevalent neurological disorders.
PhD Neurosciences under Center for PhD program, Yenepoya University
BSc Neurosciences in collaboration with Yenepoya School of Allied Health Sciences